Cardamom is the spicy aroma most well known in Chai Tea. Its chemistry boasts both Esters (antispasmodic/muscle relaxing and carminative/digestive aid used topically) and Oxides (helps to break down mucous).
To learn more about Cardamom, please read this Fragrant Friday by Liz Fulcher at Aromatic Wisdom Institute.
Latin Name: Elettaria cardamomum
Botanical family: Zingiberaceae
Plant Part: Seeds
Processed: Steam distilled
Chemical family: Esters, Oxides
Aroma: Warm, Spicy, Sweet
Max Dermal Use: None suggested
Safety Concerns: High 1,8-Cineole content may cause central nervous system or breathing issues in infants and young children.
• ANTISPASMODIC - alleviates muscles cramping and tight muscles generally.
• CARMINATIVE - helps reduce gas and bloating when rubbed on the abdomen topically.
• CEPHALIC - clears and calms the mind of overthinking
• DIGESTIVE AID - stimulated digestion
• MUCOLYTIC - helps reduce mucous
• WARMING - warming where topically applied
SAFETY: For external use only. Keep out of reach of children. Always dilute essential oils before applying to the skin and keep away from mucous membranes. If the oil is past it’s “use by” date or stored improperly, it may cause irritation and lose therapeutic value.
For educational purposes only. This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We are not doctors or medical professionals.
We are passionate about aromatherapy and all things healthy and natural. We also believe strongly in the safe use of essential oils. To learn more about blending safely, we have a learning section devoted just to this issue: Drops & Dilutions.
Safety recommendations are based on Essential Oil Safety, 2nd Edition, Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young, 2014.
- At a Glance:
- Cardamom is the spicy aroma most well known in Chai Tea. Its chemistry boasts both Esters (antispasmodic/muscle relaxing and carminative/digestive aid used topically) and Oxides (helps to break down mucous).
- Certified Organic, Guatemala
- antispasmodic, carminative, cephalic, digestive aid, warming
- terpenyl acetate (40.05%), 1,8 cineole (30.05%), sabinene (5.02%), linalyl acetate (4.36%)
- Steam Distilled:
- July 2016
- Shelf Life:
- 4-5 Years (approx.)